December 2, 2016 by dragonflytraining
This BRAND NEW course by Aaron Wilkes — teacher, faculty leader and leading History author — will explore a range of tried and tested teaching strategies that will ensure that our students have to take a more active role in their learning and prevent them from becoming ‘classroom passengers’.
All teachers know when a lesson is going particularly well, there is a ‘buzz’ in the classroom that only comes from a room full of students who are fully engaged, working to the best of their abilities and making the sort of progress you can both see and hear! There is often another key ingredient to these sorts of lessons – the students are doing most of the work!! Yes, it’s true, the teacher will have put the background work in – they will have ‘set up’ the lesson, resourced it, explained what’s happening, established the outcomes required and set the levels of challenge appropriately – but the lessons that have that ‘X factor’ are ones in which the students are not passive classroom passengers who fail to show any initiative or drive, but are active learners, motivated to work independently or collaboratively and extend themselves as far as they can.
This inspiring course aims to:
- Explore real world classroom techniques that will help to prevent your students from becoming passengers in lessons.
- Help you set up lessons where the students work a lot harder than they have done before!
- Give practical, down-to-earth advice, tips and teaching techniques that have been proven to work.
- Show how buzz words, jargon and excuses for underachievement, hinder rather than keep the profession.
Session 1: Laying the foundations
- ‘Setting up’ a lesson – rules, routines and rituals that really work
- New ideas for old favourites – let’s not reinvent the wheel
- Making it stick – with proof! – global evidence actually utilised
- On-going revision and constant reinforcement
Session 2: Fully Engaged: A Practical Guide
- Student-set success criteria that are explicit but not restrictive
- Creating a climate for learning: what can we do to help and what we shouldn’t
- No passengers allowed
- The best questioning techniques….ever
Session 3: Tips, Tricks and Techniques
- The fail-safe lesson template that really works
- Enriching your curriculum with flair, creativity and yes…content.
- The very best practice in AfL
- Creating effective learning habits that learners can keep for the rest of their lives.
This course is available as in-school training and is suitable for ALL teachers.
To discuss the course in more details, or to arrange an INSET, please contact Wendy Imperato at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us on 029 2071 1787.